Some Plans May Not Permitted

(Taken from my 2013 Archive and translated with translation machine. May or may not be accurate from real history, and I'm too lazy to rewrite)


March 1935

Meanwhile, in Alexandrov’s third-floor office, he and Semyonov (the director of the Bolshoi Ballet Academy) were deep in a private conversation.

"...If circumstances allow, some of the graduating female ballerinas could serve as additional dancers here too. I’ve been toying with the idea of ​​introducing a traditional dance that requires a large number of female dancers," Alexandrov explained. Semyonov nodded, agreeing with Alexandrov’s proposal.

"That is certainly possible. I would be happy to facilitate the advancement of the graduating ballerinas. In that case, I should also speak with Gusev, who is set to take over as the next director of the Bolshoi Ballet Academy. Just in case to avoid any misunderstandings. After all, I’ll be handing over leadership in a year," Semyonov said thoughtfully.

"However, I do have a concern: would Vozhd permit it? I’ve tried repeatedly to get Danilovich’s approval to add a boys' choir, but he rejected the idea because children aren't allowed to be part of the military. And yet, I was so strongly desire for both children and women to participate in military music..." Alexandrov said hesitantly. 

Semyonov stroked his chin, contemplating the potential outcomes should Alexandrov request permission to include ballerinas. "It is certainly a difficult time. Especially since I heard news from a distant friend in France that the situation in Germany is escalating... Well, you know what I mean. I know the Soviet Union is invincible, but we must still consider the worst-case scenario. So, what Danilovich said might be right; perhaps it is best not to bring in more women and children..." Semyonov said, then continued, "It is better to assess the situation first. You can ask me for updates from outside the Soviet Union every month, as I can check with my friend. But... you will still accept the ballerinas later on, once the country has stabilised, won't you?"

"Certainly, Comrade Semyonov. I would be delighted when you are ready to send ballerina graduates here for me to select," Alexandrov said with a friendly smile.