[Autumn 1937]
The raindrops are pouring down heavily tonight. The lamps inside CSKA building slightly flickering due to unstable electrical wave. Most of Alexandrov Ensemble artists stayed in the building even after the work hours end - as they don't bring umbrella from home. In one of the rooms of this vast building has a large window, which showing the ferocious thunder and the rain barging down the glass. But it seems that doesn't scare five artists who sat nearby in circles.
"You sure this is a safe place?"
"The wind and the thunder are on our side, Tolik. Rest easy!"
"Sema talking supernatural again..."
"Well, Vasya, let's just focus on our objective right now; listening to our Stiva."
"Thank you, Oleg. Okay, here is what I heard today: the concert manager Mikhail Shulman casted to Gulag few days ago."
"Huh, so he is already gone when we were arrived home?"
"Yep. 9 October, in exact."
"From where did you hear that?"
"I was fetching my double bass at the second floor. Boris Alexandrovich and Vladimir Alexandrovich discussed about him. They suspect the arrest of Shulman was the indirect threat from Lev Mehlis."
"Indirect? You mean actually he wants to capture our Maestro?"
"Well, who else, Tolik?"
"Impossible! He was under protection of the Vozhd himself and Klim Efremovich, right?!"
"Under protection means nothing when it's only him who protected, Tolik. We could have dragged while Maestro trained us."
"Oh come on, Olezhka! That's too horrible! Now, what did you hear next, Stiva?"
"Remember Sema's suspicion weeks ago? That we are actually in danger too? Well, the sons are suspecting the same - we were accused to be part of Kulak. And they already got a tip that soloist Tverdokhlebov will be arrested next week for the same reason."
"Ah, I knew it- Wait, not really. I thought we will be accused to be part of Trotsky's terrorist group, haha!"
"Wait a minute, Stiva. Were you in the same room with the sons or hearing from the corridor?"
"Same room, unfortunately."
"....What? How?"
"You won't believe me, but I usually placed my favorited double bass at the most corner, stacked with other bass cases. Because I don't want the other musician who sometimes rehearse in here taking what's mine. So... when I was just taking it, the door opens in sudden. I peeked and surprised to see two sons entered in hurry. I thought I will be scolded because being late... and instead finding that information behind the bass cases..."
"Thank goodness you don't get caught, Stiva. I mean... you are..."
"Blond and Yakutian. Yeah. What a time to be alive, Vasya."
"Doubt you will be fired sooner or later. I mean, Maestro kept rejecting your resignation letter, huh? You've did that since last year."
"Don't remind me about that anymore. 'Talented bassist cannot be wasted', he said. Ugh..."
"Well, you do! Besides, if you leave in this year, you will be tracked. Your family will be also in danger!"
"Anyway, shall we warn Tverdokhlebov?"
"Shh!"
"No, no, don't!"
"Shhh!!"
"But he is a nice guy..."
"He can take care of himself. Besides, I guess he will be spared fast. Can't let the first tenor soloist immediately arrested right after hugged by Vozhd yesterday."
"Another divine prediction, Sema? You got it wrong about Trotsky terrorists accusation."
"Well, it's just my personal prediction and wishful thinking, haha! Feel free to believe me or not."
"Anyway, thanks for trusting us, Stiva."
"Well, only you five who can I trust."
"Ah, the rain has stopped..."
"Then see you all next week. Don't die, guys!"
"Ahahaha..."
=====
[Winter 1938]
Tver's military base is a bit crowded this night. The ensemble artists are staying inside the borrowed barracks to rest their joints. Because only two heaters turned on, almost all of ensemble artists huddled and slept on the floor like penguins instead using the bunkbeds. Somehow, the same five artists managed to gather at the most corner of the bunk bed. They can still endure the cold for some hour, before huddled again with their friends...
"You sure this is a safe place?"
"As long you don't suddenly cackling like an idiot for every spilled gossips."
"Hey, that's Tolik who made a lot of noise!"
"But at least I don't cackling while slapping hard someone's back..."
"Okay, okay. I will whisper this time. And my hands tied here."
"So, what's the gossip this time, Oleg?"
"...Remember when our Maestro start to hanging out more with that ballerina Lyudmila?"
"That's almost last year. After that, he never seen bringing his wife Ksenia anymore..."
"And... surprise, surprise... their new baby arrived after Vladimir Alexandrovich's son-"
"WHA-"
"Shutttt yourrr mouthhhh. So... the rumor that she is the civic wife since last year was correct..."
"I'm afraid so. The Purge ripped his legal marriage."
"So... when we performed in Warsaw, they already fu- hey, stop glaring at me!"
"No shit. They already did it nine months ago... Perfect cover since Maestro got better accomodation room than us, haha..."
"That's why Lyudmila taking maternity leave till now. Usually she will lead the female soldier dance with her peers."
"So... Got clue for the name?"
"Yuri."
"Yuri? Cool disguise. Because that's also name for his third son's son...."
"I don't think so, Sema... Yuri name is common. No conspiracy at all..."
"Well, so does other Russian names. But if I were Maestro, I rather name him something that not taken by closest family yet."
"That's kinda explaining why he also start putting his sons to the ensemble. Whether as deputy or as conductor. Not only because preserving Alexandrov dynasty and protect their safety..."
"You mean the small bribe? Or making them to shut up about the civic wife?"
"Sort of. I mean... don't you see how the third son act bratty toward Maestro?"
"I thought he was actually want a normal life. Maybe conductor at small orchestra and theatre. Not wanting to involve in military ensemble."
"We can only glad his bratty attitude doesn't thrown to us too. Well, except that photo section filled with his grumpy face."
"Huh, no wonder why I liked him more than his older brothers. He has more balls and personality."
"Ah! There is inspection. We should go back."
"Don't get too rushed, guys. Maintain your heartbeat and huddle like normal men."
And so, they quietly crawl and stacking themselves among the sleeping artists. By the time they closed their eyes and calming themselves down, the barrack door opened. The Red Army officers find nobody awake, shrugged, and left them alone.