Fulfilled Pact

 [1947]

"I found you. Turn out you and your host were buried at the border. Need three days to travel and walked here. Because I want to hear you..."

The man with the short red hair bent down over a large mound, which seems a mass burial area. The grim surroundings and beneath the soil, strangely did not repulse him. He merely smiled, then knelt to examine the specific spot more closely. Semyon chuckled to himself, as if he understood the situation perfectly.

"Yes, yes. I suppose that was the only way your host could kill you. What else could be done?" Semyon whispered close to that specific mound. He then fell silent, leaning his ear toward the soil.

"I can't guarantee that his sacrifice truly erased the pain felt by his friends. Especially the woman you love, Darya," he murmured, shaking his head. But he quickly added, "Don't get too happy just yet. You knew Dima and Vadik well, didn't you? You know Dima isn't the type to hold a grudge. Vadik might be, but only until he learns the truth. They’ll heard from Darya's testimony, and believe it wasn't your host's fault. They’ll blame you, of course..."

The red-haired young man fell silent once more. His expression now showed dissatisfaction. "And you know, it wasn't entirely your fault, really. It all stemmed from the host's parental abuse. Unfortunately, you let your desires take the lead, so the blame for that mistake ultimately fell on you."

Later he continued, "That’s why I once advised you to be honest with everyone. Let your host free. It would have all been resolved. But instead, you chose to let your host face the bitter truth... and unwittingly kill Vasily. It's unfortunate too I was stationed at South Front, cannot protecting Vasily from far away. I’m just lucky your host came to his senses before he could kill Dmitry, too."

Semyon stood up, laughing. But his laughter was not the wise sort he usually displayed; it was a cunning laugh, so intense that Semyon’s blue eyes slowly shifted to a deep violet. "Perhaps you’re right... I did betray you by telling Darya everything and indirectly saved Dmitry. Why, you asked? I made a pact hundred years ago with Dmitry's ancestor, which I must fulfil so I stayed alive forever. Let's say that I learned the prophecy, your descendant will harm my daughter Irina. Well, I could have used my power to obliterate you soon, but I know this will broke everyone's heart unfairly. So, I let you roam free and everyone learned their lesson fairly, include yours."

His cunning chuckle deepened into a look of satisfaction, then erupted into raucous laughter. His violet eyes glowed ever brighter. Semyon gazed down at the mound again with disdain. "Well, Hell is bestest place for you. Rest assured, Lyosha might be joining you. Though I know he’ll face a lighter fate than you. Goodbye, Vitaly and Lyosha. I'm going home forever." He laughed once more as he walked away from the mass burial area. His eyes reverted to blue, and he quickly blended in with the other Polish locals at village.